[Air-L] in dis-praise of the Chronicle

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 1 06:45:38 PDT 2009

It also sounds like this misses the nuance of *who is talking to whom*, with stronger ties using more media to communicate than weaker ties, and stronger ties more able to influence joint (pairwise to groupwise) use. -- this is all with the caveat that I haven´t read the Chronicle article (I´m not on my own machine with my usually totally wired connection right now).

But, I also wonder if we may be seeing a shift in what the ´base´ connector for groups is going to be. Sure, AoIR is long-established on email, but would you do that today? or would you set up a Facebook or equivalent groupinstead? I rather think the latter if you didn´t think about crossing borders and internet transmission rates.

Anyway, I better go read the article!  /Caroline