[Air-L] live profiles, dead people

Carmel L. Vaisman carmelv at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 01:13:35 PDT 2009

Hi Mariana.

A similar phenomenon happened in Israel with blogs of young people who died
in terror attacks or during army service and some after committing suicide.
the blogs got a lot of traffic of people writing to the dead but it wasn't
just family and friends, in fact they were the minority - many people who
didn't' know them read their former entries and got to know them and spoke
to them after their death. Another interesting phenomenon was that in a few
cases of dead teenagers their parents took over the blog and shared their
memories. The blog became very popular with the parent now blogging. I
don't' know anyone who documented this in research but I'm doing a long
ethnography in the Israeli blogosphere so i had the opportunity to witness
that. I thought it raised an interesting issue of privacy of the dead, since
parents didn't know their children's passwords but got cooperation from the
blog host owners to reactivate the blog. Did you witness anything similar?

Carmel Vaisman
http://www.absolutecarmel.com
Twitter @carmelvaisman