[Air-L] Introducing myself

Mariana Matos marianasantiagodematos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 06:33:45 PDT 2009

Hi Anna,

Your study must be very interesting, and I'm looking forward to its translation! It would be nice to read your conclusions.

I agree that the sense of personality seems to be something that counts. I see two different things. One is the act of making hommages or tributes to the dead. This has always happened through History. Internet opens a new possibility for it to happen. As we used to light candles in places that represented the deceased person, we can light virtual candles on the Internet.

I think that this is completely different from talking directly to the dead. It's not made to honour the deceased and it's also not a way of telling other people how good that person was. On Orkut, or in other SNS, the profile was made those who died after. It's completely personal. The profile looks like the person. What I see are not messages that simpy regret the death. Family and friends tell the dead about their deepest feelings, share memories, tell about  how their lives are going.

After having said that, I ask: do the phenomena you've been witnessing look like what I've described secondly, i.e., people who write direct messages to the dead?

Finally, in Brazil we have also these memorial websites, but they're surely not as popular as the habit of writing to the dead through Orkut.

Best regards,
Mariana