[Air-L] Trivial tweeting

Cornelius Puschmann cornelius.puschmann at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Jul 2 09:48:22 PDT 2009

Hi Rob, Bernie and colleagues,

the communicative behavior that you describe is precisely what my
presentation in the Twitter session at IR 10.0 will address (I believe
the title contains something about "reporting states and actions" - am
on my iPhone so can't check). The published papers on Twitter by
Honeycut and Herring/danah describe interactional tweeting (tweets
that initiate an exchange or can be assumed to be written with the
goal of initiating one) in detail, but non-interactional tweeting has
not been covered yet as far as I can tell.

I've looked into (and written about) the same issue with blogs and I
would caution anyone a) against using value judgements ("trivial"
tweeting/blogging etc) and b) against assuming from the start that
this kind of behavior is audience-centric (i.e. that people write this
stuff with a lot of consideration for their readers, or, more
specifically, with the intention of providing useful information to
them).

Why do people scratch "I was here" into park benches or leave their
imprint in wet cement? Because creating a record of your existence
proves both to yourself and to others that you were in a certain place
at a certain point in time, which at least to me seems to be more the
result of a basic psychological need than a genuinely social activity.
You're not really "messaging" those others in that you necessarily
have any communicative intent other than wanting the words to echo
back to you. Why do people write diaries? At least in part to
stabilize the self, to create a coherence of thoughts, emotions and
events in relation to the self (see research by James Pennebaker et al
on health improvements related to diary writing).

It's possible to integrate this with the ambience argument. Non-
interactional tweets tend to report places, activities and physical/
emotional states (what someone had for lunch is less common in my
subjective experience). They usually indicate changes from the default
which are noteworthy to the twitterer, regardless of their
informational relevance. How often have you read "am on the train to
X / the plane to Y / just arrived at a hotel in Z"? I am not disputing
that this information can also be relevant to others, but my
impression is that that isn't the reason why people tweet it so
frequently. Travelling places us outside of our usual environment both
spatially and socially and therefore increases both the need to report
and the likelihood that the information will be perceived at least as
marginally relevant.

I'll stop here, before I reproduce the content of at least one of my
papers in all its lengthy entirity. My central arguments:
1) audience design in blogs and Twitter greatly varies from person to
person (see Scott Nowson's work on blogging and personality) - in my
opinion, minimal intended audience is the blogger/tweeter herself,
2) communication is always motivated, but not always audience-oriented
- especially if you don't know exactly who your audience is or what it
perceives as relevant, which is why people tweet this stuff but don't
usually email it or post it to mailing lists such as this one,
3) in a medial environment where any information can be stored and
transmitted to anyone with equal and minimal effort, strictly speaking
nothing is "relevant" or "irrelevant", and I think people sense this.

My 0.05€.

Cornelius Puschmann, PhD
University of Duesseldorf
Department of English Language and Linguistics
http://ynada.com