[Air-L] Twitter the Newspaper of Me

geert lovink geert at desk.nl
Sat Jul 4 00:29:10 PDT 2009

> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 19:15:47 -0400
> From: Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca>
> Subject: [Air-L] Twitter the Newspaper of Me
> To: aoir list <air-l at aoir.org>
>
> Just tweeted this:
>
> For some of us, Twitter is becoming the oft-foreold "Newspaper of
> Me" --
> that is if you follow the links.
>
> Twitter, of course, is what you make of it.
>
> Happy Canada Day!
>
> Barry Wellman

I understand, Barry. But that's mainly fwding existing news of the
mainstream news industries. The Iran case showed that Twitter also had
the potential to become a news source in its own right. This time it
remained modest in scale, and the event itself faded away (it's too
early to say it 'failed'). In this case the "Twitter Revolution' was
hyped up by US American techno evangelists like Shirkey and Jarvis.
Easy to deconstruct but that's not all of it. If Twitter is all about
people communicating with each other, then why all this forwarding of
major websites URLs that people are already visiting anyway?

Geert