[Air-L] Information wants to be ASCII or Unicode? Tibetan-written information cannot be ASCII anyway.

Han-Teng Liao (OII) han-teng.liao at oii.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 15 17:04:54 PDT 2009

I agree that "Information wants to be digital", and that is why we
should start a honest conversations among programmers, IT support,
academics and policy makers.

I disagree that the notion that the technical support of Unicode source
is confusing for programmers.  Please refer to the following blog post:

The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively
Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!)  by Joel Spolsky

We can debate about the technical implementation on and on (but I hope
the above link has settled the technical debate).  However, it would be
better to ask first whether we need, for example, Korean, Japanese and
Chinese to *coexist* on the same page, or alternatively, Jewish and
Arabic to *coexist* on the same page.  If the social and communicative
need across languages is among our priority to support a better Internet
environment, then the answer is obvious.  Again, the reason why Unicode
is supported and maintained by industry and experts points to the fact
that Google, youtube, facebook and other websites supports Unicode
probably for a simple reason: they want to reach other local markets.

My short-cut and simplified understanding of the whole software industry
movement in i18n (internationalization) and l10n (localization) is as
follows.  The industry (and along with open source community who
actually excels in i18n and l10n) has proposed Unicode by first
imagining there is limitless space (codepoints) for
alphabets/scripts/strokes/characters to be assigned.  And then the
industry can compete to implement them and satisfy any potential markets.

So I am of the opinion that Unicode is actually market-friendly and
potentially programmer-friendly.  It takes more effort to make it
politically-friendly rather than merely politically-correct.  I hope my
starting point is not about multicultural or multilingual correctness,
but about an open nature of Internet....

All languages want to be digital.  We have enough space for them.