[Air-L] what sources do you use for a "history of the Internet"?

Guillaume Latzko-Toth latzko-toth.guillaume at uqam.ca
Mon Jul 20 08:05:57 PDT 2009

   Here are my two favorite references about Internet history:
   Abbate, J. (1999). Inventing the Internet. Cambridge (Mass.): The MIT
   Press.
   Salus, P. H. (1995). Casting the Net : from ARPANET to Internet and
   Beyond. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley Pub. Co.
   The following is a shorter, interesting text reproduced in several
   publications and languages; you will find some PDF versions of it
   quite easily on the Web by searching its title:

          King, J. L., Grinter, R. E., & Pickering, J. M. (1997). The
          Rise and Fall of Netville: The Saga of a Cyberspace
          Construction Boomtown in the Great Divide. In S. Kiesler (Ed.),
          Culture of the Internet (pp. 3-33). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence
          Erlbaum Associates.

   Guillaume

     Hello all,
     I have run into this problem, yet again, and am still looking for a
     solution. I'm writing a (very brief) history of the Internet for an
     article.
     I have the following sources, which a) seem outdated and b) not
     sufficiently
     scholarly.
     Leiner, B. et al. 1997. ""The Past and Future History of the
     Internet."
     Communications of the ACM, February 1997.
     Berners-Lee, Tim. 1998, "The World Wide Web: A Very Short Personal
     History",  Retrieved July 9, 2009, 2009 (
     [1]http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/ShortHistory.html).
     World Wide Web Consortium. 2007, "A Little History of the World
     Wide Web",
     Retrieved February 19, 2007 ([2] http://www.w3.org/History.html).
     Can anyone point me in the direction of either more recent or more
     scholarly
     sources? I wrestle with using Wikipedia (as many have discussed on
     this list
     in the past). I would prefer, at the very least, a pre-press paper
     from a
     scholar.
     Any help much appreciated.
     s.