[Air-L] in dis-praise of the Chronicle

Christopher Lueg Christopher.Lueg at utas.edu.au
Tue Jun 30 16:23:16 PDT 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Barry Wellman wrote:

> Indeed, my hunch is that each communication form adds on to the other,
> rather than displacing it, which is why I never get much writing done
> (today's excusive, anyway).

A lot of journalists looking for a 'story' appear to miss the fact that
'netizens' are fairly good at media-switching and using media that suit a
particular purpose (which in a way is also the un*x philosophy). As you
just mentioned there is a difference between what we try to communicate on
tweets and on mailing lists (just to name these two). Those who know don't
need a one-fits-all (in fact we value diversity).

I think it was Steve Whittaker who pointed out this kind of purpose-driven
media switching when analyzing the emerging use of instant messengers in
corporate settings some 10 years ago (happy to search for the paper if of
interest)

best regards
christopher

--