[Air-L] Library Purchase/Subscription For Kindle Content?

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 11 13:24:34 PDT 2009

On 11-Jun-09, at 3:40 PM, McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] wrote:

> I Would Most Appreciate Your Reactions / Thoughts About The
> Opportunities / Possibilities / Ramifications Of This Scenario By
> Commenting On The Matter At The Blog Entry At

As a student from the early 1970's to now I really do not like the
library holdings of ebooks other than pdf's. My library at the
university of Ottawa has some books we view only on screen and we can
not print them or can only print them one page at a time. Now journals
are better these days but these ebooks are worse at school than they
are buying them privately as ebooks. A page at a time? You can check
with some scholars and librarians who will also assert that being able
to flip between pages with fingers as book marks is essential part of
understanding a text.

You can only access one page at a time and to get to such and such a
page is much more than 1 click.

More on ebooks. I published a book and the published released it on
google books with out even asking me the editor.

The Internet may roll on and Like Jacques Ellul wrote in the 1950's in
The technological Society technology rolls over everything like
culture religion etc. because a better way of doing things is simply
accepted on technical grounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Ellul#Books
The Technological Society. Trans. John Wilkinson. New York: Knopf,
1964. London: Jonathan Cape, 1965. Rev. ed.: New York: Knopf/Vintage,
1967. with introduction by Robert K. Merton (professor of sociology,
Columbia University).