[Air-L] Sampling and recruiting in Social Networking Services

Fred Stutzman fred at fredstutzman.com
Thu Jun 18 05:29:49 PDT 2009

The only article I've seen out of a methods journal that deals with
this directly appeared recently:

Ferguson, D. A.  (2009).  Name-Based Cluster Sampling.  Sociological
Methods & Research, 37(4), 590-598.

Drawing on memory, most of the within-SNS sampling I've seen, for
small sample studies, uses either snowball or invitation sampling.
I've also seen use of advertising (both through paid placement and ad
hoc methods - groups, reposting of solicitation).  For large-scale
samples, I've seen both randomized and targeted crawling of a SNS.
Mike Thelwall's papers on Myspace provide a good example.

Notably, most of the medium-sized samples involve extra-SNS
solicitation (generally some sort of list-based sample).  This is
mainly used for survey research.