[Air-L] University policies on social media

Matthew Allen M.Allen at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Mon Jun 22 17:34:45 PDT 2009

My university continues to struggle with the whole notion of freedom of use and the Internet. Reflecting on 10 years of policy making - more and more intrusive, and often limiting academic freedoms quite significantly - I see that there is a shift underway now, in which IT services who used to be very concerned about any activity not 'corporate' in nature, are now beginning to become enthused again about innovative Internet practices, but that marketing / corporate communications offices are worrying about reputation, etc. At least at Curtin uni, and some others in Australia, the blockage to good use of the Internet is from the branders, marketers, and spin merchants, and not so much the IT staff.

That said, Curtin uses the 'web sense' corporate blocking software which can produce some interesting results; about 2 years ago Facebook was blocked  - apparently because of the 'waste' of bandwidth, but more likely simply because the default settings in web sense block social networking sites. This was changed fairly quickly, but reveals the dangers.

Apparently Curtin is all of a twitter about Twitter - some people are saying 'twitter is not an appropriate use of ICT resouces and we should stop students using it'; others are saying 'what happens if bad things are said about Curtin on Twitter'; meanwhile the world moves on, and I am left wondering if it will ever be possible for institutions to cope with social media - which so routinely 'decentres' the institution  :)

Dr Matthew Allen
Associate Professor and Head of Department, Internet Studies
School of Media, Culture and Creative Arts
Curtin University of Technology, CRICOS 00301J Australia
m.allen at curtin.edu.au
http://netstudies.curtin.edu.au <http://netstudies.curtin.edu.au/>
+61 8 92663511 (v) +61 8 9266 3166 (f)
Immediate Past President, Association of Internet Researchers http://www.aoir.org <https://email.curtin.edu.au/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.aoir.org/>