[Air-L] New media and public vs. private space

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 23 08:25:51 PDT 2009

Holly Kruse schrieb:

> The last chapter of the book that I'm writing (I'm currently revising
> this chapter of the manuscript) deals with issues of private vs.
> public space and new media technologies.  I want to make sure that
> I'm not missing any key texts or insights.  Is there anything that I
> really must read?

On the conceptual level, you should read Helen Nissenbaum's paper on
"Privacy as Contextual Integrity",
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=534622>

­(Her then PhD student Michael Zimmer has elaborated on this in a couple
of good blog posts at http://michaelzimmer.org.)

Bottom line: It may make sense to not anymore distinguish between
"private" and "public" spaces (especially online), but between different
"contexts". This also brings an interesting and more positive
perspective on the "walled gardens" theme about Facebook and the likes.

Ralf

Dipl. Pol. Ralf Bendrath
Technical University Delft, Netherlands
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management, Section ICT
Work: http://www.ict.tbm.tudelft.nl
Blog: http://bendrath.blogspot.com
Info: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~bendrath
PGP / GnuPG Public Key: