[Air-L] Bibliography on geography/space/place

Holly Kruse holly-kruse at utulsa.edu
Tue Jun 23 15:41:20 PDT 2009

 Thanks to everyone who sent me recommendations for sources on new media and
public/private space.  Because so many people have been so kind, and also
because so many people have expressed interest in the topic, I'm posting the
works I've cited in my book manuscript that I'm using specifically to
discuss issues of space and place.  Below that are the same types of sources
that I used in my first book.  As is evident, there aren't too many specific
to the internet and mobile ICTs: hence my query from yesterday.

I'll compile the recommendations I've received via the list and post those
in a bit.  And please, keep them coming if you have any.

Holly Kruse
Faculty of Communication
The University of Tulsa
800 S. Tucker Drive
Tulsa, OK 74104
918-631-3845
holly-kruse at utulsa.edu or holly.kruse at gmail.com
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~holly-kruse

-----

Sources used for space/place/geographic analysis in my book manuscript
_Racing to the Wire: New Media and the Redefinition of Space_:

Boddy, W.  (2004).  New media and the popular imagination.  New York: Oxford
University Press.

Boden, D.  (2000).  Worlds in action: Information, instantaneity and global
futures trading. In B. Adam, U. Beck, & J. van Loon (Ed.), The risk society
and beyond: Critical issues for social theory.  London: Sage. 183-197.

Bolin, G.  (2004).  Spaces of television: The structuring of consumers in a
Swedish shopping mall. In N. Couldry and A. McCarthy (ed.), MediaSpace:
Place, scale and culture in a media age.  London: Routledge. 126-144.

Carey, J. W. (1989).  Communication as culture.  Boston: Unwin Hyman.

Cole, C.L., and Howell, J.W.  (2000).  Chelsea Piers: New York City¹s new
point of pride. Journal of Sport & Social Issues 24(3), 227-231.

Cowan, R. S.  (1983).  More work for mother.  New York: Basic Books.

Dowler, K. (2002).  Television and objecthood: The ³place² of television in
television studies. Topia: The Canadian Journal of Cultural Studies, 8,
41-60.

Drucker, S. J., & Gumpert, G. (1991). Public space and communication: The
zoning of public interaction.  Communication Theory 1(4), 294-310.

Evenden, N.  (1992).  The social creation of nature.  Baltimore: Johns
Hopkins University Press.

Foucault, M.  (1979).  Discipline and punish: The birth of the prison.  New
York: Vintage.

Frohlich, D., and Kraut, R.  (2002).  The social context of home computing.

Goffman, E. (1963). Behavior in public places: Notes on the social
organization of gatherings.  New York:  MacMillan.

Goffman, E.  (1974).  Frame analysis: An essay on the organization of
experience.  London: Harper and Row.

Goffman, E.  (1967).  Interaction ritual: Essays on face-to-face behavior.
New York: Anchor Books.

Haddon, L.  (2006). The contribution of domestication research to in-home
computing and media consumption.  The Information Society, 22, 195-203.

Hall, E. T.  (1966).  The hidden dimension.  New York: Anchor Books.

Innis, H.A.  (1951).  The bias of communication.  Toronto: University of
Toronto Press.

Jhally, S.  (1993).  Communications and the materialist conception of
history: Marx, Innis and technology. Continuum: The Australian Journal of
Media & Culture 7(2). URL:
http://wwwmcc.murdoch.edu.au/ReadingRoom/7.1/Jhally.html

Kruse, H. (2009). Betting on News Corporation: Interactive media, gambling,
and global information flows.  Television and New Media 10(2), 179-194.

Kruse, H.  (1993).  Early audio technology and domestic space.  Stanford
Humanities Review 3(2), 1-14.

Kruse, H.  (2002).  Narrowcast technology, interactivity, and the economic
relations of space: The case of horse race simulcasting.  New Media &
Society 4(3), 385-404.

Kruse, H. (2003).  Site and Sound: Understanding Independent Music Scenes.
New York: Peter Lang.

Kruse, H. (2003).  Social interaction, the arrangement of interior space,
and racetrack renovation.  The Journal of Sport and Social Issues 27(4):
330-345.

Lash, S.  (2002).  Critique of information.  London: Sage.

McCarthy, A. (2001). Ambient television.  Durham: Duke University Press.

Marvin, C. & Simonson, P.  (2004). Voting alone: The decline of bodily mass
communication and public sensationalism in presidential elections.
Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 1(2), 127-150.

Massey, D.  (1993).  Politics and space/time.  In M. Keith & S. Pile (eds.),
Place and the politics of identity. London: Routledge.  141-161.

Massey, D.  (1994).  Space, place, and gender.  Minneapolis: University of
Minnesota Press.

Morley, D.  (2000).  Home territories: Media, mobility, and identity.  New
York: Routledge.

Morley, D.  (1980).  The Nationwide audience.  London: BFI.

Mullins, P. & Natalier, K.  (1999).  Cities and consumption spaces.  Urban
Affairs Review 35(1), 44-72.

Nippert-Eng, C.  (1996).  Home and work: Negotiating boundaries through
everyday life. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Oldenburg, R. (1999).  The great good place.  New York: Marlowe & Co.

Rosentraub, M. S.  (1997).  Stadiums and urban space.  In R. G. Noll & A.
Zimbalist (eds.), Sports, jobs, and taxes: The economic impact of sports
teams and stadiums (pp.178-207). Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution
Press.

Ryzik, M.  (2009, April 7).  Mapping the cultural buzz: How cool is that?
New York Times, URL:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/arts/design/07buzz.html

Soja, E. (1989).  Postmodern Geographies: The Reassertion of Space in
Critical Social Theory.  London: Verso.

Spain, D.  (1992).  Gendered spaces.  Chapel Hill: University of North
Carolina Press.

Spigel, L.  (1992).  Make room for TV: Television and the family ideal in
postwar America.  Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Spigel, L.  (1990).  Television in the family circle: The popular reception
of a new medium.  In Mellencamp (ed.), Logics of television. Bloomington:
Indiana University Press.

Stallybrass, P., & White, A.  (1986).  The politics and poetics of
transgression.  Ithaca, NY: 1986.

Tonnies, F. (1988).  Community and society (Gemeinschaft und gesellschaft).
Piscataway, NJ: Transaction Publishers.

Wilson, A.  (1992).  The culture of nature.  Cambridge, MA: Blackwell.

-----
-----

Sources used for space/place/geographic analysis that are not listed above
and were used in my book _Site and Sound: Understanding Independent Music
Scenes_:

Berland, Jody.  ³Angels Dancing:  Cultural Technologies and the Production
of  Space.²   Cultural Studies.  Ed. Lawrence Grossberg, Cary Nelson, and
Paula Treichler.  New York: Routledge, 1992.  38-65.

---.  ³Locating Listening: Technological Space, Popular Music, Canadian
Mediations.²  Cultural Studies 2.3 (1988): 343-358.

Bourdieu, Pierre.  The Field of Cultural Production. Ed. Randal Johnson.
New York:  Columbia University Press, 1993.

---.  ³The Social Space and the Genesis of Groups.²  Theory and Society 14
(1985): 723-744.

de Certeau, Michel.  The Practice of Everyday Life. Trans. Steven Rendall.
Berkeley: University of California Press, 1984.

Cohen, Anthony P.  The Symbolic Construction of Community. London:
Routledge, Chapman and Hall, 1985.

Cohen, Sara..  ³Localizing Sound.²  Keynote Address.  International
Association for the Study of Popular Music International Conference.
Stockton, CA, 17 July, 1993.

---.  ³Popular Music and Urban Regeneration:  The Music Industries of
Merseyside.²  Cultural Studies 5.3 (1991): 332-346.

---.  Rock Culture in Liverpool: Popular Music in the Making.  Oxford:
Oxford University Press, 1991.

Finnegan, Ruth.  The Hidden Musicians: Music-Making in an English Town.
Cambridge:  Cambridge University Press, 1989.

Kruse, Holly.  ³Subcultural Identity in Alternative Music Culture.²  Popular
Music 12.1 (1993): 33-41.

Massey, Doreen. ³Power-Geometry and a Progressive Sense of Place.² Mapping
the Futures:  Local Cultures, Global Change.  Ed. Jon Bird, Barry Curtis,
Tim Putnam, George Robertson, and Lisa Tickner. London: Routledge, 1993.
59-69.

Robinson, Deanna Campbell, et al.  Music at the Margins: Popular Music and
Global Diversity.  Newbury Park, CA: Sage, 1991.

Shank, Barry.  Dissonant Identities: The Rock Œn¹ Roll Scene in Austin,
Texas.  Hanover:  Wesleyan University Press, 1994.

Straw, Will.  ³Systems of Articulation, Logics of Change: Communities and
Scenes in Popular Music.  Cultural Studies 5.3 (1991): 368-388.

Street, John.  "Local Differences? Popular Music and the Local State."
Popular Music 12.1 (1993): 43-56.