[Air-L] private/public space & new media

Holly Kruse holly-kruse at utulsa.edu
Sun Jun 28 13:07:57 PDT 2009

As promised, here are the sources people suggested to me in response to my
query about research on new technology and public & private space.  I've
excluded the ones that were in the bibliography of sources that I'm using in
my current book (and/or used in my last one) that I posted to air-l a few
days ago.  Several of these I had already looked at and/or have, some I was
aware of but hadn't looked at, and some were new to me.  Because I mostly
just copied and pasted these from email messages, this list is in no
particular order and uses no format or style.  Apologies for that.

There are several suggestions that I will be looking at as I write what is
supposed to be my brief (ha) summary chapter, and in further revisions to
the rest of the manuscript.  Thanks so much to everyone!

Holly

-----
Holly Kruse
Faculty of Communication
The University of Tulsa
800 S. Tucker Drive
Tulsa, OK 74104
918-631-3845
holly-kruse at utulsa.edu or holly.kruse at gmail.com
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~holly-kruse

******

The first chapter of _Publics and Counterpublics_ by Michael Warner and his
_Trouble with Normal_

Erving Goffman, _Relations in Public_

Julie Cohen, "Cyberspace As/And Space," _Columbia Law Review_, 2007.

Chris Kelty, _Two Bits_

Douglas Thomas, _Hacker Culture_

Bryan Pfaffenberger, "'If I Want It, It¹s OK': Usenet and the (Outer)
Limits of Free Speech," _The information Society_, 1996.

Baron, Naomi S. and Ylva Hard af Segerstad (in press), "Cross-cultural
patterns in mobile phone use:
Public space and reachability in Sweden, the US, and Japan", _New Media &
Society_.

Keith N Hampton, Oren Livio, & Lauren F. Sessions, "The Social Life of
Wireless Urban Spaces: Internet Use, Social Networks, and the Public Realm,"
forthcoming, _Journal of Communication_.

Rohan Samarajiva & Peter Shields, "Telecommunication networks as social
space: implications for research and policy and an exemplar," Media, Culture
& Society, Vol. 19, No. 4, 535-555 (1997)

Greg Downey's "Telegraph Messenger Boys," 2002; and his co-edited a 2004
anthology.  Info on both at
http://www.journalism.wisc.edu/~gdowney/index.php

danah boyd's dissertation at
http://www.danah.org/papers/TakenOutOfContext.pdf

Helen Nissenbaum's paper "Privacy as Contextual Integrity",

Fran Tonkiss's book "Space, the City and Social Theory" (Polity, 2005)

Robert Sommer.  Personal Space: The Behavioral Basis of Design

Humphreys, L. (2005). "Social topography in a wireless era: The
negotiation of public and private space." Journal of Technical Writing
and Communication. 35(3): 367-384.

Humphreys, L.  (2005). "Cellphones in public: Social interaction in a
wireless era." New Media & Society. 7(6): 813-836.

Anna McCarthy, Ambient Television, Duke, 2001

Anna McCarthy & Nick Couldry, MediaSpace, Routledge, 2004

NOW/HERE: Space, Time and Modernity, Roger Friedland and Deidre Boden,
particularly "The Compulsion of Proximity," Boden&Molotch.

CULTURE POWER PLACE Exploration in Critical Anthropology, Gupta and Ferguson

Janet Sternberg's dissertation, "Misbehavior in Cyber Places: The Regulation
of Online Conduct in Virtual Communities on the Internet"

Shani Orgad's book, _Storytelling Online: Talking Breast Cancer on the
Internet_ (Peter Lang, 2005)

Lars Qvortrup (ed.), _Virtual Space_

John Monberg's online bibliography, which includes several space/place
sources: https://www.msu.edu/~jmonberg/cmcbib.html