[Air-L] SMS and law use of comm (was : Re: in dis-praise of the Chronicle)

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 30 18:40:34 PDT 2009

On 30-Jun-09, at 9:10 PM, Barry Wellman wrote:

> Altho I wonder if IM has mostly given way to texting. Haven't
> checked the
> data, though.
>
> Barry Wellman

I think certain Canadian tech business persons like Michael Copeland
( Corel) tried to make money from sms. Apparently he is loosing money
on this venture.

So while we can debate this, others risk their money on which is more
popular.

Then there are the workers in the computer firms who must learn these
applications so they can provide them to us.

I have used IM in law enforcement work as  a late night security
guard. There is a need for communication in law enforcement and in my
security work we had phones, radios, pagers, and IM and bulletin
boards and email. There were of course tasks for each one. We did not
officially use cell phones but often we had these privately as a back
up for dead radio batteries. This was in a high tech industry setting.

Peter

Peter Timusk,
B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa.
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.
Kiitos Paljon,  Merci,  and thank you.