[Air-L] in dis-praise of the Chronicle

Christopher Lueg Christopher.Lueg at utas.edu.au
Tue Jun 30 20:41:40 PDT 2009

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, Christopher Lueg wrote:

> I think it was Steve Whittaker who pointed out this kind of purpose-driven
> media switching when analyzing the emerging use of instant messengers in
> corporate settings some 10 years ago (happy to search for the paper if of
> interest)

The paper that I had in mind references works that say the above but
presents different findings:

"Contrary to prior research, we found that the primary use of
workplace IM was for complex work discussions. Only 28% of conversations
were simple, single-purpose interactions and only 31% were about
scheduling or coordination. Moreover, people rarely switched from IM to
another medium when the conversation got complex."

from:

The character, functions, and styles of instant messaging in the workplace
E Isaacs, A Walendowski, S Whittaker, DJ Schiano, C Kamm
Proc 2002 ACM conference on Computer supported cooperative work
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/587078.587081

best regards
christopher

--