[Air-L] Library Purchase/Subscription For Kindle Content?

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Thu Jun 11 12:40:36 PDT 2009

Colleagues/

As Some May Know, Amazon Recently Made Available An iPhone App For
Access To Kindle Content:

"Kindle For iPhone App Released"

[ http://tinyurl.com/dzcck4 ]

In speaking with John Cox, Acting Librarian, National University of
Ireland, Galway, at dinner the evening before my presentation on June 5
2009 at the NLI-Galway Library

[ http://tinyurl.com/luhun9 ]

about their library's sizable e-Book collection (400,000+), it occurred
to me that a library purchase / [subscription ?] of (select) Kindle
Content  (240,000 titles +)could revolutionize the entire textbook and
e-text environment at colleges and universities (as well as within other
institutions/organizations) with the use of the iPhone App for Kindle
Content [Kindle Access w/o The Kindle] as well as access via The Kindle
Device Itself [Kindle Access w/ The Kindle]

I Would Most Appreciate Your Reactions / Thoughts About The
Opportunities / Possibilities / Ramifications Of This Scenario By
Commenting On The Matter At The Blog Entry At

[ http://tinyurl.com/nhccld ]

BTW: To My Knowledge, Institutional Purchase / Subscription Options Are
Not Currently Available For Kindle Content [?]

Thanks A Million !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

 There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come /
Victor Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490  ]

 Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/  ]