[Air-L] origins of "an internet year is like a dog year"

Nishant Shah itsnishant at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 01:42:55 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca>wrote:

> Does anyone know the origins of this phrase. I've heard it so long, I
> don't have a clue as to where it came from. I need a proper citation to
> keep a journal editor happy.

The only academic resource that I have ever come across, that uses this
particular phrase, has been you,  Professor Wellman.

I used your essay for a course I was teaching on "Internet Times and
Cultures". Just in case you want the citation, it was

Wellman, B. (2001). Computer networks as social networks, *Science*,
Washington, Sept. 14, 2001, Vol. 293. Iss. 5537, pg. 2031.

I would say, go ahead and quote yourself :)

Nishant

P.S. If anybody does know the 'original' truth-sayer, please do inform!

--
Nishant Shah
Doctoral Candidate, CSCS, Bangalore.