[Air-L] facebook research - need some thoughts on facebook and research ethics

marybeth deline mdeline at alumni.sfu.ca
Tue Mar 3 10:13:52 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

My name's Mary Beth Deline and I'm currently a graduate candidate at
the University of Waterloo - I'm hoping I can get some help from the
list re: research ethics and Facebook. I'm currently checking out how
feasible my thesis proposal is, which concerns using Facebook as a
site for an intervention - either by developing an application or
posting information on participant's walls (these participant's would
have been recruited beforehand). I've contacted Facebook and they
referred me to their Terms of Services and said that was all they
could do for me. I'm having trouble finding someone who can help me
match that (and their Developer Terms of Service) up to the Canadian
Tri-Council ethical guidelines.

If anyone has any experience using Facebook as an intervention site,
or is able to provide guidance/direction on FB and research ethics
(either American or Canadian), could you please get in touch with me,
on or off the list? I've reviewed the Tri-Council's Feb 08
recommendation paper on Internet research and have searched the
archives on this list as well but haven't been able to find anything
specifically about using FB as a research 'site'. Thanks in advance,
MB

mdeline at alumni.sfu.ca