[Air-L] facebook research - need some thoughts on facebook and research ethics

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Mar 3 10:24:58 PST 2009

FB as a research site is no different than any other research site, I
think both the ethics guidelines and the Tri-council guidelines cover
their requirements clearly.  I wonder though... what you mean by
intervention here.  Because it would seem to me that the nature of
intervention is going to determine how your work actually plays out in
regards to tri-council guidelines.

If for instance, you developed a piece of software that people could
subscribe to and did not collect any data from them but just had the
software do things the user wanted, then you watched their facebook
page to see if they user did things differently, but you never
interacted with the page.  that would, i think, be different, then if
you actively post, etc. and talk with your participants.

http://www.pre.ethics.gc.ca/english/policystatement/addenda.cfm  is
the relevant url for the main ethics info.