[Air-L] Student members of IRB

James Watt wattj at rpi.edu
Thu Mar 5 19:41:18 PST 2009

At a meeting of our IRB today a question came up that I thought I
would ask of the list. It involves human subjects, which has been a
topic on this list at various times.

Since many of our human subjects are students, and there is a general
requirement of IRB's to include representation of subject populations
on IRB's, one of the members suggested that it might be appropriate
to appoint a student member to the IRB. Another person said he had
never heard of an IRB that had student members. This generated some
interesting discussion of the pro's and con's of student representation.

Are any of you aware of an IRB that includes students? You can reply
off-list, if you want. If there is interest, I can summarize replies
on-list later.

James H. Watt
Professor of Communication
Director, Social and Behavioral Research Laboratory (http://www.sbrl.rpi.edu)