[Air-L] Mobile Communications Research in Latin America/South Africa

Hanli Geyser hanli at amitek.co.za
Sun Mar 15 01:44:46 PDT 2009

Mitch Said did a wonderful study on mobile media, which included an artwork
in which he investigated the use of fake trees as cell phone towers common
is South Africa.  He asked the public to photograph these with their cell
phones, and send in the images to a collaborative map which indicated not
only the presence of these strange artefacts but also the mobile usage
patterns of collaborators.  (forgive the iffy summary of his work). I don't
have his contact details at the moment, but Prof Christo Doherty, from Wits
Digital Arts will have, and may be able to recommend more people working in
this area as well.  I am sure he would be happy for you to contact him and
discuss possibilities.

Christo's email : ChristoDoherty at wits.ac.za

Best
hanli