[Air-L] Rethinking Promotion and Tenure Criteria in the Digital Age

Stuart Shulman stuart.shulman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 11:19:46 PDT 2009

Maria,

Sorry if my hastily drawn categories were cause for concern, but, since you
ask:

library-centric: researchers who conduct their work largely in brick and
mortar libraries and archives with non-digitized objects
actual librarians: people who work in libraries

my own situation: formerly library-centric and archival
http://shulman.ucsur.pitt.edu/dissertation.htm

but now increasing web-based. I'm not sure I intended to stereotype anyone.
As a political scientist who just spent four years working in a Library and
Information Science program at Pitt, I have no preconceptions. Nor was it
intended as a knock on anyone or any view. I have tremendous respect for my
task force colleagues. So much so, I am seeking outside help to make sure my
contribution is worthy of inclusion in the task force report.

Many of the comments made to directly to me have been incisive, invaluable,
and focused on the actual question at hand.

~Stu