[Air-L] facebook research - need some thoughts on facebook, and research ethics

Pearse Stokes pearsestokes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 02:45:51 PST 2009

Hi Mary,

I think the issue you need to resolve is the issue of 'intervention' not
'intervention on facebook'.. What is your proposal? What is your
research question?

Having broken probably every one of the British Sociological
Associations ethical guidelines at some point or other I would suggest
that you explore a "positive/negative" approach. Whereby you argue that
the breech of ethics is offset by the value of the research. However,
intervention is not research (I crossed the boundary between research
and intervention in my Pro-Ana research arguing that I was a human first
and an researcher second) so who are you to intervene?

Perhaps if we knew what you were looking at in a bit more detail we
could help. I love ethical issues! haha.

Pearse Stokes