[Air-L] software piracy and open source in Indonesia

iskandar zulkarnain iskandar.zulkarnain.78 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 10:09:30 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

I am doing two related researches on some aspects of digital culture. One is
about the cultural impacts of software piracy in Indonesia and the other is
on the significance of open source movement to
social/political/cultural/artistic development also in Indonesia. Will
anyone kindly direct me on some references that will help me in completing
these projects?

On piracy, I've read Ravi Sundaram's short but insightful essay on piracy as
recylcling modernity in India, Brian Larkin's observation of piracy as the
"dark" infrastructure for film production in, and also Tarleton Gillespie's
Wired Shut on Digital Rights Management.

On Open Source, i'm reading Chris Kelty's Two Bits, Joseph Feller, Brian
Fitzgerald, Scott A. Hissam, and Karim R. Lakhani's Perspective on Free and
Open Source Software, and also Glyn Moody's Rebel Code.

I'm sensing that there are a lot of other works out there that I can also
use. So if anyone has any information or suggestion on either/both of thiese
topics, i'd really appreciate your willingness to share.

Best,

Izul