[Air-L] CFP: Learning Infrastructures in the Social Sciences and Humanities

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Mar 23 08:23:11 PDT 2009

apologies for x-posting, distribute as appropriate -jh

CFP: Learning Infrastructures in the Social Sciences and Humanities

Special issue of the journal Learning Inquiry (http://www.springerlink.com/content/120592/
)
Edited by Jeremy Hunsinger
Papers Due: May 15th 2009
Please contact the editor to discuss topics at jhuns.(@)vt.edu (remove
brackets)

In the last 20 years, the learning infrastructures of the social
sciences and humanities have transformed dramatically toward a more
plural set of practices, methods, systems, and tools. In this issue,
we are looking for contributions from social informatics, humanistic
informatics, cultural informatics, digital humanities, internet
studies, design research, media studies, and related fields dealing
with the learning infrastructures. I am seeking papers that deal
empirically, analytically and/or critically with the learning
infrastructures in the social sciences and humanities.
Cyberinfrastructures, physical infrastructures and organizational
infrastructures have been transformed through the politics, economics,
and technologies surrounding our learning infrastructures.

Learning infrastructures are part of professors and students scholarly
experiences everyday. These infrastructures are part of how students
begin their engagement with the social sciences and humanities and
perhaps become part of how they maintain that engagement throughout
their lives. Beyond our professors, departments, centers and
institutes, our learning infrastructures are mediating our
disciplinarity and interdisciplinarities to our students. In short,
learning infrastructures are a part of how students learn to be
scholars in various disciplines and citizens in the world-at-large.

Part of the debate surrounding learning infrastructures in the social
sciences and humanities is the over/under-definition and over/
underdetermination of terms such as learning and infrastructure in
disciplinary and interdisciplinary discourses. In this CFP, I want to
encourage papers that help to define and critically engages those terms.

Possible topics:
• Transformation of institutions in relation to learning infrastructures
• New methods, new understandings in the social sciences and
humanities related to learning infrastructures
• New disciplines, interdisciplines and transdisciplines and learning
infrastructures
• Political economics of learning infrastructures
• Ethics, norms, and politics surrounding learning infrastructures
• Openness and/or closedness in learning infrastructures
• Social/Cultural/Informatics informatics and learning infrastructures
• New directions for learning infrastructures based on social sciences
and humanities
• Cultural environmentalism and learning infrastructures
• Knowledge/Design ecologies and learning infrastructures

Review process will be double blind peer review following editorial
selection.   We expect to place fewer than 8 papers in this special
issue. We would prefer papers between 4000-16000 words. Papers should
be submitted tohttp://www.editorialmanager.com/linq/ Please contact
the editor to discuss your paper and/or when you submit your paper.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech
Information Ethics Fellow
Center for Information Policy Research

http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  Learning Inquiry-the journal
http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/  Transdisciplinary
Studies:the book series

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it.
-Pablo Picasso