[Air-L] Sports, fandom, and new media

Jeff McCarthy jeff.mccarthy at mmu.ac.uk
Tue Mar 31 13:14:05 PDT 2009

Hi Jacqueline

I'm researching a very similar area (football SNS) so would be fascinated to see what you
find too. I haven't come across anything specifically with sports fandom and use of the
internet regarding social media. I have however found these articles very useful:

* Brown et al 2007 "Word of mouth communication within online communities: conceptualizing
the online social network", JOURNAL OF INTERACTIVE MARKETING VOLUME 21 / NUMBER 3 / SUMMER
2007

* Moutinho et al 2007 "Surf Tribal behavior: a sports marketing application", Marketing
Intelligence & Planning
Vol. 25 No. 7, 2007, pp. 668-690.

* Kozinets, R. (2006) "Click To Connect: Netnography and Tribal Advertising", Journal of
Advertising Research, September 2006, pp. 279-288

* Rowley, J., Kupiec-Teaham, B. and Leeming, E. (2007) “Customer community and
co-creation: a case study”, Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 136-146.

* Chadwick, S., Garford, W., Guimaraes, G., O’Reilly, D. (2008) “The formation,
organisation and management of MyFootballClub: Implications for marketing practice”,
Journal of Direct, Data and Digital Marketing Practice, Vol.10 No.2, pp. 150-160.

* Boyd, D.M, & Ellison, N.B. (2008) “Social Network sites: Definition, History and
Scholarship”, Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.13, Issue 2, pp. 210-230

* Beer, D. (2008) “Social network(ing) sites...revisiting the story so far: A response to
Danah Boyd & Nicole Ellison”, Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.13, Issue 2,
pp. 516-529.

* Adamson, G., Jones, W. and Tapp, A. (2005) “From CRM to FRM: Applying CRM in the
football industry”, Database Marketing & Customer Strategy Management, Vol.13, 2, pp.
156-172.

Many thanks
Jeff

Jeff McCarthy  BSc (Hons) | PGDipM | FCIM | FIDM | Chartered Marketer | CIM & IDM CPD
Awards
Associate Lecturer
Marketing & Retail
The Manchester Metropolitan University Business School
Aytoun Campus
Manchester UK M1 3GH
Email: jeff.mccarthy at mmu.ac.uk

Staff Profile: http://www.business.mmu.ac.uk/staff/staffdetails.php?uref=391
Academia: http://mmu.academia.edu/JeffMcCarthy

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the
Manchester Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer

>>> Jacqueline Vickery <jvickery183 at gmail.com> 03/28/09 11:57 PM >>>
Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone is aware of some qualitative or quantitative
research about sports and new media. I'm particularly interested in how
sports fans are using message boards, cell phones, twitter, blogs, and other
digital media to extend their communities and further perform their fan
identities. Even more specifically, I am interested in American college
football fans, but any research about sports fandom as it intersects with
digital media would be really helpful.

Thank you much,
- jacqueline

--