[Air-L] Quantitative research in information systems

Bernhard Rieder lists at procspace.net
Wed Mar 4 08:29:01 PST 2009

Hakikur,

It might be helpful if you were a little more specfic, if you look at
the ACM library and arXiv, mathematical approaches to IS have been
abundant in recent years. The question is what you mean by
"quantitative" - looking at the world through mathematical lenses makes
up a very heterogeneous field indeed and there are methods that are very
different in scope, direction and applicability. Do you want to study
users or properties of information systems? Demographics or use
patterns? Static snapshots or evolutionary dynamics? In every case you
can find hundreds of papers online.

If you are interested in approaches based in network science I would
recommend "The Structure and Dynamics of Networks" by Newman, Barabais
and Watts, a collection of seminal papers and empirical applications
(not limited to IT tough). A recent paper by Prieur et at.
(http://arxiv.org/abs/0802.2317) is, in my view, a great example of
exceedingly well done quantitative work.

best,
Bernhard

--
Bernhard Rieder