[Air-L] research papers on computer viruses

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 8 15:25:49 PDT 2009

Stefano -

I actually think this is a really good question.  The Open Source movement deals a lot with issues of trust. See the Open Source group at MIT which used to publish a great deal to this list:
Subject: [Air-l] New papers on freesoftware.mit.edu | opensource.mit.edu

also Matt Ratto did an interesting presentation in this area a while ago that related to trust and open source. You definitely want to look at his papers (not necessarily this one):
Ratto, M. (2004). Why is this penguin angry? Linux, social values and emotional attachments. Internet Research 5.0: Ubiquity?, University of Sussex, Association of Internet Researchers.

So there's plenty of evidence about trust of various kinds fostered (or not) by internet-based interactions in Open Source and also in the Surveillance research  Lyon, D. and E. Zureik, Eds. (1996). Computers, surveillance, and privacy. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press.

but none I know about viruses.

However, I would look at the journal: Journal of Computer Information Systems
It is online and should be very helpful.

For trust & ICTs there is a classic chapter:
Perolle, J. (1991). Conversations and trust in computer interfaces. Computerization and controversy: Value conflicts and social choices. R. Kling and C. Dunlop. Boston, Academic Press: 350-363.

The second edition was printed in 1996, and there may be later work from Perolle that might be useful to you.

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD. Special Projects, Faculty of Arts & Science, Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA Mobile +(61) (0)438 233 344 http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/ Join the Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org Internet Research 10.0, October 7-11, Milwaukee, WI, USA