[Air-L] facebook research - need some thoughts on facebook and research ethics

Rhiannon Bury rcbury at rogers.com
Tue Mar 3 21:08:44 PST 2009

Hi Marybeth

I  did online research while I was on faculty at UW. You can't do any research with human subjects  without going through the REB. You should contact the Research Office for advice and then complete the forms for thesis work on their website.

Like the previous poster, I  do not understand what you mean by "intervention." It seems that you are implying a form deception, which if the case, I can pretty much assure you that your proposal will not be approved. Also, you  can't just post things on people's walls unless they are "friends." Running apps on facebook without people's permission, or maybe even with it, is most certainly a TOS violation.

Rhiannon Bury
Assistant Professor
Women's Studies
Athabasca University