[Air-L] using wikipedia articles in academic paper

Nishant Shah itsnishant at gmail.com
Thu May 7 01:33:25 PDT 2009

Dear Stefano,
I think this is something that a lot of us have faced in recent times. As
increasingly, the wikipedia becomes one of the most comprehensive
information archive for certain kind of knowledges, it does appear quite a
lot in citation and references. In a recent paper that I was writing about
digital cinema in Asia (focusing particularly on the phenomenon of Kuso), my
primary definitions of Kuso came from the Wikipedia and it was questioned by
the reviewers across the board.

My editor, however, understood that the wikipedia was the ONLY credible
English speaking source I could find to provide my definition and reference.
Most other knowledge of Kuso that I had was from interviews and
conversations with people. In such an event, I had to footnote the
particular citation and justify why I am using Wikipedia as my source there.

I relate this personal anecdote because I think there is something much
deeper at stake here: The clash between to industries of knowledge
production and the unease over the interplay between the two. I was
wondering if the same 'disappointment' had been registered if we were
quoting from the Encyclopedia Britannica for example? what is it that makes
the larger academic community trust one source as more credible (despite
proven results) than the other? How is it that we can't see the irony of
disreputing web sources in scholarship on the web?

These are more ponderings but well worth investigating, especially in the
context of industries of knowledge production and monopoly of information
that the publishing industry has had for such a long time and is now feeling
threatened by the advent of user generated information spaces.

Warmly
Nishant