[Air-L] More on the change

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue May 12 04:54:12 PDT 2009

> My worry is about the .01% (including an infamous example from a few
> years
> ago) who might use such an episode as the occasion to attempt to
> inflict
> real damage on the organization when discovering that, contrary to
> Jeremy's
> assurances, we are unable to persuade / bribe Dreamhost into deleting
> problematic postings.

you don't do it that way.  as i noted, you send them a service request
for the tar file.gz file of the archives of the list in question, you
edit that file, and you ask them to replace that file.

however, you shouldn't just do that for anyone at any time.   it isn't
a weekly thing, it is a... if there is a legal notice from a lawyer
and it has been approved by our lawyer.   or... if there is a clear
issue like 'oops i posted my ssn'.   takedown is not something we
should do without significant cause.   I think it has been done once
under my watch and it was something equivalent to 'i posted my ssn'.
It was done at that time because that was acceptable under the
virginia tech system.   AoIR as far as I know has no policy on
takedown.  I've just more or less proposed one.  If we had a clear
one, then i suspect this issue would be resolved.

In regards to the Lawyer, we have plenty on the list who might be
willing to donate some consultation to a 503c non-profit.  Some things
concerning the law... you need to consult a lawyer about.  Michael
Zimmer for instance pointed out that we might be exempt from certain
legal actions like the ones the exec seems to be worried about.  I'm
sure you'd like a second opinion on that.   On the other hand...  I
don't think you should worry about phantoms.  If you have a real
threat, please do deal with it.   If this is only a hypothetical and
protecting from a hypothetical, I have to think that the likelihood is
going to be pretty small that this hypothetical could not be avoided
without the action taken.   Acting on hypotheticals is hugely
problematic... especially when the action taken seems to be contrary
to every other best practice for list management.   I'm on 100+
academic/professional lists, this is the only list with this
configuration that isn't an announce only list that i'm on.  There is
a defense in keeping with the best practices of list management....