[Air-L] Social network site nomenclature

Rob robert.ackland at anu.edu.au
Wed May 13 04:56:50 PDT 2009

Hi Linda,

Yes, I agree.  I used that nomenclature in my paper:

Ackland, R. (2009), "Social Network Services as Data Sources and
Platforms for e-Researching Social Networks," Social Science Computer
Review Special Issue on e-Social Science, 27(4), Winter 2009.

I use "online social network" to refer to any social network on Internet
e.g. organisational hyperlink networks and social network
services/sites.  I agree with you that an SNS is a particular type or
class of online social network.

Rob