[Air-L] Social network site nomenclature

Sarita Yardi sarita.yardi at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:15:48 PDT 2009

Researchers from data mining and networking (capital N) communities tend to
use the term "online social networks" fairly consistently. They are (in
general, not always) measuring and analyzing networks as nodes and links and
describing how information flows within them--they're less focused on the
social layer.  For this context, "online social networks" seems pretty
appropriate and sufficient.

Some examples are SIGCOMM's 2008 and 2009 "Workshop on Online Social
Networks", Chau et al.'s WWW '07 "Parallel crawling for online social
networks" , Mislove et al.'s IMC '07 "Measurement and analysis of online
social networks", Kumar et al.'s KDD '06 "Structure and evolution of online
social networks", etc, you get the idea.

----
School of Interactive Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology
www.cc.gatech.edu/~yardi <http://www.cc.gatech.edu/%7Eyardi>