[Air-L] Social network site nomenclature

Giorgos Cheliotis gcheliotis.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:49:12 PDT 2009

Hi to all,

I have been following the discussion with some interest, and I'm happy
to find that my understanding of the terms pretty much coincides with
that of danah. By the way, this is my first time posting to the list,
so hello everyone. I'm an assistant professor of Communications and
New Media at the National University of Singapore, currently also a
visiting researcher at the Berkman Center in Harvard. Since danah
added 'social media' to the mix, can I please ask the good folks on
this list to provide their definitions of the term 'social media' as
well? (in relation to SNS or in relation to 'non-social' media, if
there is such a thing).

The reason I ask is not merely academic curiosity. I have agreed to
teach a class on social media for the first time in my school and I
think it will help in positioning this class vis-a-vis other related
classes if I can collect some thoughtful definitions of the term and
get some idea for what people think it should include. I'll refrain
from providing my own version here because I'd really love to hear
your perspectives first.

Thanks in advance,
Giorgos