[Air-L] Slapstick Marketing?

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Fri May 22 11:28:15 PDT 2009

This reminds me of a recent experience.
Some context: We've had periodic problems keeping raccoons from trying
to enter our attic. They try to rip a hole in the roof under the eves
of our dormers. This is not good. So, I searched online for a
solution. One suggestion was the use of coyote urine, as coyotes are
raccoon predators. So, I went online to see what coyote urine might
cost me. (Of course, that was before I realized that the urine would
stink to high heaven, and waft into the house through our windows.) I
found some of the stuff on Amazon.com. That's when I saw the relevant
phenomenon: a bizarre but creative review that few will ever likely
see, but if they ever did would no doubt attract attention to the
product's Amazon page. (I guess if its a marketing ploy, this email
posting of mine is proof that it worked.) The review follows:

I am not sure why this product is advertised as a "lure", since it is
obviously meant to repel deer and other creatures wary of coyotes. I
myself do not have deer problems, living in a Manhattan condo, but I
do have a rather willful Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Sir
Winston who aggravates me to no end with his aggressive behavior,
incessant barking, and refusal to obey my commands. Quite simply, I
just don't get no respect from him. I have tried discipline, bribery,
psychotherapy, and even physical restraints, but nothing works. After
Sir Winston chewed up and peed on my $1200 Amedeo Testoni loafers, I
knew I had to get serious.

The coyote urine smelled no different from the hundreds of other urine
I have smelled. Perhaps I was expecting something gamier or muskier
than your average urine. For a moment I was afraid that someone might
have simply urinated into the container, trying to pass it off as
coyote urine. Brushing my doubts aside, I went to the bathroom,
removed my shirt, and then liberally applied the coyote urine to my
body--under my chin, on my torso, rubbing it into my arms--until I
fairly reeked of the pungent odor. I stepped out of the bathroom and
called to Sir Winston. Not surprisingly, nothing happened. I went to
search for him and found him in the kitchen, peeing on my Cuisinart.
The moment I came in, however, his body seemed to tense, and he turned
around quickly, whimpered, scrambled off the counter and ran to the
living room to hide under the sofa. I followed him to the sofa, got
down on my hands and knees, and called to Sir Winston. He responded
with a high-pitched whine. You can imagine how powerful and in-charge
I felt.

"Sir Winston!" I yelled, "Come out now and face your master!" Sir
Winston crawled out, crouching low, and looked up at me with humility
and fear. "I am top dog now, and you will obey me!" Sir Winston
actually seemed to nod his head--quite a change from his usual
response of biting my ankle. "Go now to your room and repent your past
disobedience!" I yelled, and then, for good measure, I flexed my chest
and arms and growled, "ARRRRGGGHHH!!!" Sir Winston bolted to his room
as if the very Devil himself were chasing him.

My success with Sir Winston has led to my wearing coyote urine all the
time and growling whenever anyone crosses me. The other junior
partners at the firm where I work have developed a new respect for me,
and even the senior partners have begun to give me a wide berth. I am
now experimenting with other predator urine, including wolf and bear,
but coyote remains my favorite.

Is this Word of Mouth marketing? If it is, its the best kind, because
it's too darn hard to determine if it actually is marketing. Just like
the best pieces of irony are those that readers aren't sure are meant
to be taken as irony.
--Christian Nelson