[Air-L] CapitolCamp NY, a barcamp for State Government

noel hidalgo noel at noneck.org
Wed May 27 13:12:41 PDT 2009

My coworkers, friends and I are planning an inaugural Barcamp for
State Government and technology. This is the first step in changing
how NY state provides constituent services. I hope you can join in on
this historic event!

Next Friday is CapitolCamp NY (June 5th 2009) at the New York State
Capitol. < http://capitolcamp.org >

The New York State Senate, NY State CIO's Office and concerned
citizens are hosting a Barcamp to share ideas about how technology can
make government work better for all the residents of the Empire State.
For one day, we will focus on the particular theme of using technology
to increase transparency and participation in New York State government.

Friday, 5th June 2009
 From 10:30 am till 6:00 pm
New York State Capitol, Albany, NY
Proposed after party from 6:30 - 8:30 (Location TBD)
Register for free at < http://capitolcamp.eventbright.com >. Note, Not
An Alternative, a Brooklyn based 501c3, is chartering a bus to depart
at 9:00 pm, after the after-party. Tickets are $40.00, limited and can
purchased at < http://capitolcamp.eventbright.com >.

This your traditional "un-conference" where participants derive the
day's events. Additionally, we have broken up day into three tracks.

1) "Senate 2.0": Technology, Transparency, & Participation in the NY
State Legislature: begins with a discussion of the role that
technology plays in the NY Senate, including presentation of the
“roadmap” for the NY Senate CIO’s Office, and discussion of the future
of public access to State legislative data; "legislatures 2.0"
thematically related sessions for the rest of the day thereafter.

2) "Empire 2.0": begins with a discussion of the role of the Office of
the State Chief Information Officer in developing the state strategy
and roadmap for NY Executive Branch agencies for the use of web 2.0,
new media, and social collaborative tools and technologies that can
better serve citizens and improve inter-governmental communications;
includes a brief presentation of the current state and open discussion
seeking ideas to further the overall strategy; "state government 2.0"
thematically related sessions for the rest of the day thereafter.

3) "Web 2.0 for Government" training workshop: expert online organizer
Beka Economopoulos will offer hands-on training about how citizens,
elected officials, and civil servants alike can Web 2.0 tools such as
the new http://NYSenate.gov website, Twitter, and Facebook more
effectively.

We invite you to propose sessions on the CapitolCampNY's sessions page
prior to the event < http://bit.ly/I4Mwl > and hope you can help us
create new ways to solve the problems.

Questions?

Direct us a tweet via @CapitolCamp or Hashag - #CapitolCamp or email