[Air-L] Kindle For iPhone App Released

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Tue May 5 13:02:29 PDT 2009

Kindle For iPhone App Released

Colleagues/

Is This The Future Of Reading?

/Gerry

Amazon Kindle is a software and hardware platform for reading electronic
books (e-books), developed by Amazon.com subsidiary Lab126, first
launched in the United States on November 19, 2007. Two hardware
devices, known as "Kindle" and "Kindle 2," support this platform, as
does an iPhone application called "Kindle for iPhone."

>>What is Kindle for iPhone?

Kindle for iPhone is a free application that lets you read more than
240,000 Kindle books on your iPhone or iPod touch-no Kindle required.
Amazon's new Whispersync functionality automatically synchronizes your
last page read so you can easily switch between devices and pick up
reading from where you last left off.

>>Which iPhones and iPod touches are compatible with Kindle for iPhone?

Kindle for iPhone can be used on any iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPod touch
with Firmware 2.0 or higher installed.

[snip]

>>What can I read on Kindle for iPhone?

The entire selection of books available for reading on Amazon Kindle can
also be read on Kindle for iPhone. The Kindle Store contains many of the
best sellers from leading publishers around the world. You can also
download free book samples from the Kindle store and read the first
chapter of a book before you decide to buy.

If you already have a Kindle and Kindle book library, you can access the
Kindle books you already own, even if you don't have your Kindle with
you. Periodicals such as newspapers, magazines, and blogs, and personal
documents cannot be viewed on Kindle for iPhone.

>>Can I view my Kindle bookmarks and annotations on Kindle for iPhone?

Whispersync automatically synchronizes your bookmarks and your reading
location among devices registered to the same Amazon.com account.
[snip]

>>>How do I download and install Kindle for iPhone?

Kindle for iPhone can be downloaded for free in Apple's App store.

[snip]

>>>Additional Information

Using Kindle for iPhone / You Tube Video / Non-Exhaustive Selection of
Sources For Kindle Content / News Coverage

Related/UnRelated

WSJ : Amazon to Launch Kindle for Textbooks

NYTimes: Looking to Big-Screen E-Readers to Help Save the Daily Press

Links And Additional Information Available At

[ http://tinyurl.com/dzcck4  ]

As Always, Any And All Comments/Observations Are Most Welcome As
Comments On The Blog Entry.

Enjoy!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490  ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/  ]