[Air-L] on the recent change ...

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Thu May 14 09:17:22 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Let me begin by thanking everyone for your comments, arguments, suggestions
for additional research, possible resolutions, etc. in response to the
recent - premature - change in the default setting on the air listserv.

After considerable discussion and debate, the Executive Committee has
decided on the following course of action:

In part because it appears that list discussion is continuing (indeed,
thriving), we'll keep the recent change - but only on a _temporary_ basis,
pending further exploration, debate, and resolution as approved by the
membership.

We will continue our original discussion and further exploration of the
multiple issues involved, including (a) legal issues and (b) the possibility
of moving the air-list archive in a way that Alex Halavais has suggested
might resolve the major concerns that motivated our discussion and
exploration of making such a change in the first place.

In order to explore these issues in such a way as to maximize input and
participation from the larger listserv membership, we are establishing a
working group - charged with responsibility to
* examine the various issues and concerns involved, including those
expressed in the recent email exchanges following the change;
* soliciting further opinions and relevant research from the membership; and
* developing recommendations for our best options, including the possible
mechanisms for a vote/referendum on this matter by the listserv membership.

We anticipate that the working group should be able to complete their work
and present their recommendations to the Executive Committee and the
membership within the next two months.

If you are interested in serving on this working group, please email me
privately.

Again, many thanks for the lively and thoughtful discussion, diverse
suggestions, etc. - as well as for your understanding that this change was
made prematurely, i.e., prior to precisely the sort of complete and fully
dialogical process that we all agree is the ideal and proper approach for
AoIR.

Looking forward to hearing from volunteers!

cheers,
- charles ess
President, Association of Internet Researchers