[Air-L] CfP: Making Links 2009 - Sustaining Communities in Tough Times

Marcus Foth m.foth at qut.edu.au
Wed May 20 01:41:57 PDT 2009

MAKING LINKS 2009

Sustaining Communities in Tough Times

17 - 18 November 2009
University of Melbourne

http://www.makinglinks.org.au/

Call for papers

Two major challenges face the world today: the global economic crisis
and environmental sustainability.
Both are already having an impact on peoples’ lives and livelihoods.
Community organisations have already expressed concern that the most
vulnerable in our societies will be hardest hit.

Community organisations also face the challenge of keeping their
operations going in tough financial times, and at the same time trying
to be part of the environmental solution, rather than part of the
problem.

Making Links Conference 2009 asks: how are non-profit organisations
meeting these twin challenges?

We are seeking presentations that address issues such as:

	• Technology as a tool to improve communication, increase
productivity and retain staff
	• Disaster response / management / relief
	• Financing your organisation and its programs in tight economic times
	• Engaging with communities online
	• Green ICT projects (from recycling computers to green design to
green office to campaigning and more)
	• Corporate social responsibility - building partnerships to support
our communities
	• Strengthening marginalised communities and constituencies
	• Research supporting action
	• The rapidly changing interface of online communication
	• Community arts and media

Making Links is a peer-based conference. We invite you to present a
paper on your learning and experiences with ICT, your projects, case
studies or research, or lead a practical workshop that introduces
useful tools and concepts.

The structure of the conference will be based on:

	• Case studies
	• Practical workshops
	• Panel discussions
	• Networking opportunities
	• Film festival
	• Social and satellite events

Submit a proposal online at:
http://www.makinglinks.org.au/papers.shtml

Who should attend?

The conference attracts delegates and presenters from many fields
including health, environment, education, charities, business,
government, philanthropy, human services and non-profits working with
marginalised groups (e.g. e.g. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander,
culturally and linguistically diverse, youth at risk, unemployed,
rural and remote, disability).

Registrations open 10 June.

Keep up to date

To keep in touch, sign up for Making Links updates at http://www.makinglinks.org.au/
  and join our Facebook group to find out what's going on, contribute
ideas, etc., at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7075421142

--
Dr Marcus Foth
Senior Research Fellow

Institute for Creative Industries and Innovation
Queensland University of Technology (CRICOS No. 00213J)
Victoria Park Rd, Brisbane QLD 4059, Australia
Phone +61 7 313 x88772 - Fax x88238 - Office K506, KG
m.foth at qut.edu.au - http://www.urbaninformatics.net/