[Air-L] AoIR in Second Life - Scholar vs. researcher

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Wed May 20 18:06:11 PDT 2009

Dear Jasmine -

> Also, as a general question: when is it acceptable to refer
> to yourself as a
> 'scholar' or 'researcher'? (Semantics I know, but I'm
> studying language so
> the distinction is sort of important to me.)

This distinction was actually the topic (!) of my PhD on internet scholarship. I explored four 'pathways' to internet scholarship - specifically talking about how internet scholars develop and integrate any previous academic study with their current engagement with the internet. To me, briefly, a scholar engages with the topic with supporting theoretical structure and analysis that comes from "far and wide" - and when becoming a scholar, academics undergo a process of educational/personal and professional development (the Germans called it Bildung).
Rall, D. N. (2007) "Locating four pathways to internet scholarship" Lismore, NSW, Southern Cross University. Unpublished PhD thesis.

The definition of an internet researcher I didn't actually explore. But I'm sure there's many others on this list that could offer good definitions.

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD. Special Projects, Faculty of Arts & Science,  Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Mobile +(61) (0)438 233 344 http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
Join the Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org
Internet Research 10.0, October 7-11, Milwaukee, WI, USA