[Air-L] Tweet Your arXiv Preprints

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sat May 9 13:17:09 PDT 2009

Colleagues/

Two Weeks Ago, I Posted A Query On The Practice Of 'Twitter Science' :

"I Am Greatly Interested In Learning Of Any / All Formal (or Informal)
Initiatives That Have Incorporated Twitter (Or Similiar Mobile Features
And / Or Functionality) Within Science (And / Or Technology) Projects,
Publications And / Or Conferences."

Well ... ... ...

" ... Robert Simpson, a PhD student from Cardiff University in the UK,
has created a website that ranks papers appearing on the arXiv preprint
server according to their popularity on Twitter.

His website searches Twitter for tweets that mention an arXiv url or
posts that are tagged "#arxiv" and include the paper's unique
identifier. The website retrieves and lists all the tweets and produces
a table of the most popular papers, authors and arXiv categories ranked
by how many tweets they have received.

[arXiv on Twitter: [snip] This project aims to collect this information
and use it to highlight the most interesting and talked-about papers].

The website has only been active since 16 April, but already there have
been 75 tweets quoting arXiv papers.

This week's top three papers include an introduction to machine
learning, a 3D study of the photosphere of HD99563 and power-law
distributions in empirical data.

The paper ranked fourth in the table, however, as far as I could tell
was an April fool's joke, which proclaimed that pi has changed since
1900 BC. So maybe think twice before taking such a ranking seriously."

And Who Says I'm Crazy ... ? [:-)]

A Link To The Original Twitter Science Posting And To The ArXiv On
Twitter Site Are Available From

[ http://tinyurl.com/qggsoz ]

Enjoy !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490    ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/    ]