[Air-L] Change of default reply setting on air-l

Jonathan Marshall Jonathan.Marshall at uts.edu.au
Sun May 10 18:05:01 PDT 2009

For what its worth, i would also disagree with the change of default reply setting.  It *does* change the structure of communication on the list and *does* make it, by default, a set of communications between individuals.  This will change the dynamics of the list and possibly make it less valuable. In general i want to know what people on the list are talking about, otherwise what is the point of being here? The list will have less and less sense of presence and possibly fade away altogether.

Personally on other lists in which the default setting is the 'new' version, I also find it extremely annoying, as often when i think i've replied to the list i've only replied to the person making the post - who might not actually be the person i want to reply to in any case!  And it may take a day or so before i remember that my mail has not come to my mailbox, and if i then repost the conversation has moved on, and my remarks are even less relevant than before.

Also, i would like to protest the change being made without discussion, consultation or warning on list, with as far as we know only a few people complaining about the old set up.  Certainly clearly demostrates the falsity of the idea of the internet as a new space for 'democracy'...

jon

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority,
states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney. Before
opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.