[Air-L] Change of default reply setting on air-l

Cristina Lopez clopez at umn.edu
Mon May 11 07:45:47 PDT 2009

I'm glad someone finally took up the safety and privacy issues. I also
would prefer the default to be replying to the list.

Earlier Charles said:

    All of this raises the central worry that there exists a good
    possibility in
    the long run of the list that someone will indeed post to the list a
    note
    intended for a particular individual, but one containing very
    sensitive /
    confidential information, the publication of which on list could
    easily have
    disastrous consequences for the individuals involved, and perhaps
    others.
    Worst-case, some of us are concerned that this might make AoIR legally
    liable / open to suit.

...and also commented on the embarrassment of sending an e-mail to the whole list when you mean to send it to one person.

I think it's a long way from mild embarrassment to lawsuit. Personally, when I see someone unintentionally send a message to the entire list, I remember having done that myself once or twice. I sympathize because I've felt that embarrassment myself. And having done that myself in the past, I am more careful when it comes to replying to any message posted on a list.

Moreover, while we've talked about comparing results with both reply options, what about more seriously investigating the liability issue if that's a reason for changing the default. If someone decides to sue, would they be successful? Would AoIR be held accountable if someone posts information that is sensitive and/or confidential? Would changing the reply default address the issue, given that it's easy enough to forward an e-mail? Although normally I'm not a big fan of personal responsibility or caveat emptor arguments, I have to say that it seems reasonable enough to expect people not to send anything truly sensitive or confidential via e-mail. While it's easy enough to treat e-mail as a private medium, it really isn't. But if liability is a concern, I wonder if it's enough to send out a notice when people sign up for the list, advising them about reply options and about the risks involved in including sensitive information in /any/ e-mail.

Cristina Lopez, Ph.D.
Senior Educational Technology Consultant
Office of Information Technology, Digital Media Center
University of Minnesota
117 Pleasant St., SE
212 Walter Library
Minneapolis, MN 55455