[Air-L] The Paradigms They Are A-Changin' > The Future Of Research And Scholarship: Open / Semantic / Social / Mobile

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon May 11 10:08:48 PDT 2009

Colleagues/

In June I Will Give Three (3) Invited Keynote Presentations In Ireland
At:

+++The National Library Of Ireland, Dublin (June 4) / The University
College Cork, Cork (June 8 / AM) / The University of Limerick, Limerick
(June 9 / PM) +++

The Paradigms They Are A-Changin'  > The Future Of Research And
Scholarship: Open / Semantic / Social / Mobile

Gerry McKiernan / Associate Professor ; Science and Technology Librarian
/ Iowa State University Library

_Abstract_

There are four major themes that are and will become the context and
framework of research and scholarship in the 21st Century: Open /
Semantic / Social / Mobile:

Open >  Open Access / Open Notebooks / Open Peer Review / Open Science /
Open Source / Open Standards / Etc.

Semantic > Valued-Added Content and Functionality Within Journals ;
Monographs ; Other Publications ; Etc.

Social >  Social Networks / Social Media / Social Software / Etc,

Mobile >  Mobile Access / Mobile Communication / Data Gathering / Mobile
Content Within Publications / Etc.

In this presentation, we will briefly profile select developments
related to these major themes and speculate on their potential evolution
and impact on research and scholarship in the coming decade(s).

If you are interested in information about any / all of these
presentations, please contact me at gerrymck at iastate.edu

To focus my presentation(s), I would appreciate learning about those
themes / subthemes that would be of great/greater/greatest interest (I
will self-archived a  version of the presentation(s) by the end of June,
after my return).

Please post your suggestion(s) as (a) Comment(s) on the blog entry at

[ http://tinyurl.com/pwp8nf ]

[BTW: Do Click On Mr. Dylan's Image  ; It Links To A Major Web Exhibit I
Co-Authored A Few Years Ago] [:-)]

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490   ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/   ]