[Air-L] Similar settings debate on Twitter

Michael Zimmer zimmerm at uwm.edu
Wed May 13 05:32:49 PDT 2009

Also apropos the air-l debate over settings & community, a similar
debate is occurring on Twitter, who recently made a "small settings
update" where users no longer see public replies sent by friends to
people they themselves are not following. (Fragmented conversations,
they are called.)

In the words on one commenter:

"The new policy isn't something you have to opt-in to. It's not
something you can opt-out of. It's true for people who use 3rd party
Twitter clients to read their Tweets. It's more fundamentally closed
than Facebook is; on that site I may not be able to view the profiles
of strangers talking to my friends, but I can see that the
conversations are happening and I can read the comments. This new
Twitter policy breaks one of the fundamental rules of social activity
streams: that I can discover new people by seeing who is conversing
with the people I already know."

Details here: <http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/twitter_puts_a_muzzle_on_your_friends_goodbye_peop.php

And you can follow the #fixreplies tweets here: <http://search.twitter.com/search?q=fixreplies

-mz

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
w: www.michaelzimmer.org