[Air-L] Social network site nomenclature

Bertil Hatt bertil.hatt at ensae.org
Thu May 14 23:36:06 PDT 2009

> can I please ask the good folks on this list to provide their definitions of the term 'social media' as well?
> (in relation to SNS or in relation to 'non-social' media, if there is such a thing).

   I'd rater compare Social media to User-generated content. UGC is
anything that you can find on a platform that does not discriminate
for participation. It should include, although it's odd, professional
content made for YouTube. It would be called Social Media when the
conversation is the message: people talking to each other though
webcam on YouTbe make it a Social media; artsy indy films, less so.
   The difference with Mass media is that the poster doesn't have an
unbalanced position towards its viewers (and explicit technical means,
implicit authority): comments at the botton of a blog, or letter to
the editor would be intermediate versions. Replies between blogs is
social media.