[Air-L] AoIR in Second Life - Scholar vs. researcher

Robert Ackland robert.ackland at anu.edu.au
Tue May 26 01:53:24 PDT 2009

I found the following definitions of research and scholarship to be
quite interesting and possibly useful in my efforts to distinguish
e-Research from digital scholarship.

It seems to me that a lot of activities in the humanities, arts and
social sciences that are described (and funded) as e-Research are
actually digital scholarship since they involve setting
up/maintaining/providing access to digital collections of research
resources (e.g. social science datasets, images, video, audio), rather
than contributing to new knowledge.

Does anyone else agree with or object to the definitions of
research/scholarship below, and my attempt to use them to distinguish
e-Research from digital scholarship?  Any relevant scholarly references
would be much appreciated.

Rob

Dr Robert Ackland
Fellow and Masters Coordinator, Australian Demographic and Social
Research Institute, The Australian National University

e-mail:   robert.ackland at anu.edu.au
project:  http://voson.anu.edu.au
teaching: http://adsri.anu.edu.au/study/ssi.php