[Air-L] Community Literacy Journal

Jennifer deWinter jdewinter at wpi.edu
Wed May 27 07:39:39 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

My name is Jennifer deWinter. I have just taken the position of book
editor for the Community Literacy Journal—an exciting forum in which
scholarship engages with literacy practices outside of the defined
walls of K-12 and higher education.

There are a number of exciting publications in community literacy that
we need reviewed, and those publications are not always coming out of
university presses. As such, we are looking for reviews of the
following:

--New books
--Seminal books
--Websites
--Documentaries
--Serious games
--Repositories of knowledge, such as blog sites, YouTube videos, and databases

While this is not an exhaustive list, it provides a place to start. In
the same way that literary practices occur in surprising places and
times, so too does the literature break away from the typical
boundaries of academic publications.

Also, if you have a book coming to press that is topical to the
journal, please let me know so that we can review it.

In addition to the traditional book review, I will be instituting a
“Keywords” essay in the book review section. Currently, there is more
literature available than we are able to review in a semi-annual
publication. As such, we at the journal have decided to include a
thematic synthesis essay organized under key themes in the field of
community literacy: community literacy (obviously), methodology,
service learning, international service, youth programs, and so forth.
These essays will serve the purpose of collecting the sources and
putting them in conversation with one another in order to appreciate
where we have been as a field of study and where we will go.

If you are interested in writing one of these essays, please contact
me with the keyword that you would like to explore.

Both the book reviews and synthesis essays are also excellent
publication opportunities for graduate students.

I am, of course, excited about joining the journal. Community literacy
continues to grow and transform entire groups, and it is the power and
transformative potential of these literary practices that make this
such an exciting area for scholarship and engagement.

Please feel free to email me at jdewinter at wpi.edu with questions,
queries, and submissions.

Very best,

Jennifer deWinter