[Air-L] AoIR in Second Life - Scholar vs. researcher

Marj Kibby Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
Wed May 27 12:02:09 PDT 2009

Hi Nick,

I did not 'propose' a distinction - merely gave an example of one
distinction in practice. Good to have another example, though perhaps
this supports Brew:

"...in Australia and in the UK, for example, the terms “research”
and “scholarship” are used rather differently to the way that they
are used in the USA."

Higher Education Research & Development, Vol. 22, No, 1, 2003
Teaching and Research: New relationships and their implications for
inquiry-based teaching and learning in higher education
Angela Brew

Regards,
Marj

Associate Professor Marjorie Kibby
Film, Media and Cultural Studies
School of Humanities and Social Science
The University of Newcastle  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604

>>> Jankowski <nickjan at xs4all.nl> 27/05/2009 10:03 pm >>>
Robert:

I personally consider the distinction you suggest, proposed by Marj
Kibby,
as unnecessarily constraining and I would not use it. Instead, I
suggest
'scholarship' as the overall label for knowledge production and this
includes 'research' as one of the enterprises for such production.
This
and other issues are elaborated in my introductory chapter to the
following book to be released 23 June: 'e-Research: Transformation in
Scholarly Practice'. For details, see:
http://www.routledge.com/books/E-Research-isbn9780415990288

An early draft of the introductory chapter is (still) on SlideShare
and
can be found at:
http://www.slideshare.net/nickjan/jankowski-chapter-1-e-research-introduction-final-single-spaced-small-font-3-december2008

Best,

Nick Jankowski

> I found the following definitions of research and scholarship to be
> quite interesting and possibly useful in my efforts to distinguish
> e-Research from digital scholarship.
>
> It seems to me that a lot of activities in the humanities, arts and
> social sciences that are described (and funded) as e-Research are
> actually digital scholarship since they involve setting
> up/maintaining/providing access to digital collections of research
> resources (e.g. social science datasets, images, video, audio),
rather
> than contributing to new knowledge.
>
> Does anyone else agree with or object to the definitions of
> research/scholarship below, and my attempt to use them to
distinguish

http://www.aoir.org/